Single Stop partners with over 70 community-based organizations in New York and California. Our sites are situated at community centers, job training programs, after-school programs, libraries, settlement houses, health clinics, food pantries, shelters, and many other neighborhood organizations.
At each partner site, individuals and families are assisted by Single Stop staff who helps them access a broad range of critical supports that are a powerful and effective tool for lifting families out of poverty; particularly when accessed in conjunction with such comprehensive services as legal counseling, financial advice, and tax preparation – all provided free-of-charge. In fact, research shows that government resources promote family stability and job security; increase disposable income; and improve long-term educational and health prospects.
All of our services are provided at no-cost and include:
- Benefits Screening and Counseling: Using Single Stop’s custom software, our site staff identify each student’s eligibility for public benefits and help them apply. These benefits include health insurance, food stamps, unemployment, cash assistance, child care, WIC, Social Security funds, and more.
- Tax Preparation (January through April): Site staff and tax professionals help students prepare and submit tax returns.
- Financial and Legal Counseling: One-on-one financial counseling sessions focus on building students’ lifelong money management skills. Our legal counsel partners enable individuals and families to resolve critical issues in areas such as housing/evictions, child care, health care, and immigration.
Through our model, one visit to a Single Stop site can catalyze the transformation of the lives of low-income individuals and families, opening the door to life-long economic security. Here’s how:
- Every dollar of food stamps translates to increased purchasing power for families.
- Children enrolled in health insurance programs are 80 percent less likely to have untreated medical needs.
- Access to health insurance has been shown to double a family’s ability to save.
- Child care subsidies give a parent time to look for a job.
- A $1,000 increase in family tax credits correlates with increased test scores for children.